Pregnancy Osteopathy Melbourne
A pregnant woman undergoes many changes, both physical and emotional, during her journey into motherhood. Pregnancy osteopathy supports this transition. Treating conditions as they arise helps your body to accommodate the many rapidly occurring changes at this time.
The changes to your body in pregnancy are often obvious, such as normal weight gain and shifts in your posture. Other changes may be more subtle but dramatic, changing the normal structure, function and motion of your body. New aches and pains can arise and pre-existing conditions can worsen. This can lead to you not feeling your best during pregnancy.
Pregnancy osteopathy treatment aims to ensure your body is aligned and you aren’t experiencing pain that can cause tension. This helps to promote wellbeing during pregnancy, but it also has a positive effect on your labour and birth as well.
Nurtured Birth’s practitioners work collaboratively so you can be assured your osteopathic treatment will be supported by other therapies. Some of our practitioners have participated in Spinning Babies training to enhance your body alignment and improve optimal fetal positioning.
Osteopathic care in pregnancy is safe, effective and encouraged to prevent and treat issues, such as:
- Lower back, hip and pelvic pain
- Sciatica and nerve pain
- Optimising the baby’s position in preparation for labour
- Breech and posterior babies
- Pelvic instability and symphysis pubis dysfunction
- Rib and upper back strain
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Maintenance of postural balance and alignment
- Groin and/or hip pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Swelling, particularly hands and feet
- Breathing difficulty (when baby is crowding lungs)
- Preexisting injuries that are exacerbated by pregnancy.