Induction Massage Melbourne
Induction massage is a gentle and non-invasive way to prepare your mind and body for labour and birth. Labour is driven by a complex cocktail of hormones. A massage in the later stages of your pregnancy can enhance this process and pave the way for a smooth transition into labour.
Should you be overdue or feeling uneasy about the potential of a medical induction, a deeply relaxing massage can help you to overcome tension and anxiety. This creates a positive mindset and lowers stress hormones.
At Nurtured Birth we bring together a range of techniques to encourage your body and baby to move into the next stage of labour. We work in collaboration with the osteotherapist to achieve structural balance, taking your body’s function to the next level in preparation for birth.
Induction massage can be an essential part of your birth preparation. It addresses issues that can prevent your baby from getting into the optimal position for birth. As your body releases muscle tension, it creates space for your baby to move down into your pelvis, rotate or move from breech, posterior, or other less optimal positions for birth.
Induction massage works by stimulating the following processes:
- Decreasing your body’s stress hormones (cortisol and adrenaline).
- Increasing production of oxytocin, the ‘happy’ hormone released when you’re feeling loved up, ready to birth to your baby, when bonding with your baby and breastfeeding.
- Stimulating acupressure points that encourage your baby into position, dilation of your cervix and uterine contractions.
- The use of Rebozo. Rebozo is a long soft cotton cloth that can be used in many different ways. It’s mainly used to gently jiggle and rock the mother to relax tight ligaments especially in the pelvis area, ultimately helping the mother to let go. It can also assist babies to rotate and move deeper into the pelvis.
This is a gentler and safe way to attempt a natural onset of labour as opposed to a medical induction.
Our therapists focus on engaging your mind-body connection with:
- Mindset and letting go
- Positioning of your baby
- Assessing and releasing tension in your body, particularly hips and lower back
- Addressing and letting go of inner fears
- Enhancing self confidence and trust in the process of birth.
The techniques used by Nurtured Birth therapists for induction massage vary according to the needs of each woman. Some of our practitioners have participated in Spinning Babies training and can work with your body and baby to encourage optimal fetal positioning.
Nurtured Birth offers induction massage in Melbourne at The Mother Baby Centre at Cabrini Hospital in Malvern and our clinic in Windsor, as well as for women who have booked our birth doula services.