Baby Massage Melbourne
Baby massage is an ancient practise which has been routinely practised in many traditional cultures. For many Eastern cultures baby massage is a normal and daily part of a new baby’s life, for example, in India and it has benefits not only for the baby but also for the parent or caregiver who is giving the massage.
Q: What are the benefits of baby massage?
The main benefit of baby massage is bonding. Bonding is the process of attachment of a child to its parents and caregivers. It is the thing that connects or attaches them together. This bonding could be with either parent, grandparents, or other caregivers in babies life. If the process has been completed in a healthy manner, the child feels safe with the parent or caregiver he/she has bonded with. For the parent and caregiver, it is the thing which makes them feel like they are ‘in love’ with the baby. It is the thing that makes them want to talk about or show the baby off to others incessantly, and the reason why the parents feel proud when their child achieves something. Baby massage is not the only way to bond with a baby but is a great way as it uses not just touch but sound, smell and sight to help bonding.
Apart from bonding, there are many other benefits of baby or infant massage:
- Interaction- promoted bonding, secure attachment, and spending quality time together, learning about your baby, nurturing touch, etc.
- Stimulation- of all bodily systems (circulation, immune, digestive, etc.), communication, muscular development and tone, growth and learning ability.
- Relief- gas/colic, constipation, digestive cramps, growing pains, teething discomfort, physical and psychological tension, etc.
- Relaxation- improved sleep, increased flexibility, increased environmental coping strategies, reduction of stress levels and stress hormones and less hypersensitivity.
There are also many benefits for the parents and caregivers which include:
- Better attachment and bonding
- Decreased possibility of postnatal depression
- Gives a feeling of competence and closeness to the baby
- More warmth, expressiveness, enjoyment and acceptance in interactions with their babies
Baby massage can be used with all babies, it can be of great use with special-need babies, hyperactive and overly sensitive babies, adopted, down-syndrome and autistic babies.
Q: What happens in a baby massage class?
The class is composed of babies from 1 month of age up to almost crawling age with mums, dads, grandparents or other carers learning how to massage. Sometimes expecting parents also come prior to the birth.
You will learn:
- How to massage all parts of the baby.
- A sequence for newborns.
- Basic baby yoga moves.
- Techniques for dealing with colic and how to stimulate the digestive & immune system.
- Techniques for adjusting the massage for growing babies & toddlers.
- Types of techniques & which oils to use.
Private baby massage classes are available to book and are open to all parents, grandparents and caregivers of baby to attend.
Baby Massage Essentials Class
This is one, 1:1 baby massage essentials session. Includes one 15ml bottle of Teeny Weeny massage oil.
Baby Massage Skills & Confidence Building
This is two sessions for deep skill and confidence building. Includes one 15ml bottle of Teeny Weeny massage oil.
To further develop your skill or refresh previously learned skills. Includes one 15ml bottle of Teeny Weeny massage oil.
All classes will cover:
- Introduction to baby massage. How to prepare. Relaxation techniques. How to ask for permission. How to conduct baby massage on the tummy, legs and chest.
- What are the benefits of baby massage. How to create a baby massage routine. When to massage your baby. How to conduct baby massage on the arms, face, back. How to incorporate gentle movements (baby yoga). Techniques for dealing with colic.
- Integration & practice all strokes and techniques.
Classes include a 15ml bottle of Teeny Weeny massage oil.
Jo Harris is a massage therapist (remedial & prenatal) and became a baby massage instructor (CIMI- certified infant massage instructor) with IAIM (International Association of Infant Massage) in 2008. Since that time Jo has been teaching baby massage classes as weekly classes and workshops. Jo also completed a baby yoga course with Birthlight in 2011 and since then has been integrating baby yoga moves into the baby massage class.
Terms & Conditions
Baby massage classes are not claimable. All baby massage classes are prepaid. Please reschedule before 24 hours of your class time if needed. A bottle of Teeny Weeny massage oil used in your session is included. Extra bottles can be purchased from Nurtured Birth in clinic or online. Please leave ample time and space before your appointment to find parking. Please remember to arrive inside the clinic at least 15 minutes prior to your session beginning. This allows you enough time to move through any transitions with your baby, and support you and your babies relaxation by allowing enough time for baby to be a baby (nappy changes, feeding and so on). While we understand the flexible nature of working with little ones, unfortunately we cannot go over the time booked, so please allow yourself enough time and space prior to the session beginning.