Massage In Times Of Coronavirus (Covid-19)
We at Nurtured Birth are happy to announce that after six weeks of no massage in the time of coronavirus (Covid-19) we’re reopening for limited massage sessions.
As Covid-19 became a new reality within our community, we made the difficult decision to close our doors temporarily. This move was to keep our clients, staff and families safe.
It has been over six weeks of self-isolation and social distancing and no massaging.
All of us at Nurtured Birth miss our clients, especially our pregnant and postnatal mums. We know how daunting pregnancy and early motherhood can be, with the physical and emotional changes both bring.
Massage therapy provides support for the physical and emotional aspects of pregnancy and to provide the best care possible for a safe and healthy pregnancy.
Massage In Times Of Coronavirus (Covid-19)
We are sure all our pregnant and postnatal clients are in need of a massage treatment, with the special care, support and expertise that only Nurtured Birth can provide.
Nurtured Birth will reopen for limited massage sessions at the Windsor rooms, beginning Thursday 7th May 2020.
Reopening our clinic for massage therapy is exciting news, but massage during Covid-19 times means extra protocols and precautions to keep us all safe and healthy.
Protocols For Massage & Covid-19
Nurtured Birth will reopen as per the Victorian Government legislation and following the advice of our association, Massage and Myotherapy Australia (MMA).
In Victoria, as of 17th April 2020, MMA confirmed remedial massage and myotherapy members are permitted to provide professional services at this time.
We have enlisted the following protocols for our clinic:
- Appointment times are spread out to provide time for thorough cleaning and disinfecting between clients.
- Only one client in the clinic at a time.
- Clients must wait in their car until the therapist contacts them to enter the clinic for their treatment.
- Hand sanitizer provided on entry and exit of clinic.
- All clients asked screening questions prior to their treatment.
Precautions for Massage During Covid-19
Dr Norman Swan, Australian physician, journalist and broadcaster has provided guidelines for massage therapists through MMA.
The following precautions are important for massage therapists to use as a guide to massage during Covid-19, to protect clients and keep themselves and their families safe.
- Screening questions need to be asked at the time of booking and/or at presentation to the clinic at the beginning of the appointment.
- Do you feel well? Do you have any symptoms of cough or cold, fever, difficulty breathing?
- Have you travelled overseas in the last 14 days?
- Have you had contact with anybody who has tested positive for Covid-19?
Any positive results from this screening process would be reason to postpone the appointment.
- Washing hands with soap and water thoroughly for 20 seconds.
Covid-19 is a virus with a fatty outer layer. Soap dissolves this layer of fat and makes the virus inactive. This stops the spread of the covid-19 virus.
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer works the same way but you need to use more liquid to cover all areas of your hands. Gloves are optional but generally do not provide protection from infection unless in a sterile environment.
- Masks for the therapist are not essential but make sense as a precaution due to massage putting the client and therapist in close personal proximity.
- Waiting area – limit and organise appointments to only one person at a time and/or allow for 1.5m distance in waiting areas; remove all reading material; clean regularly with alcohol wipes/disinfectant.
- Creams and oils used in massage are for single use only. Washing hands with soap and water after treatment is important to remove all products from the skin.
General Facts About Covid-19
Every day we’re learning more about Covid-19 and how it is spreading around the world. There is also much research going into treatment for those who are infected and also prevention of the virus.
Covid-19 has some things in common with influenza but they’re caused by different viruses. We do know Covid-19 is mutating slowly. Influenza has a shorter incubation rate but Covid-19 is more contagious and has a higher mortality rate. Covid-19 has a more devastating effect on older people and those with chronic health issues.
The common symptoms of Covid-19 can be similar to a cold or flu:
- Sore throat
Other symptoms have emerged that not everyone experiences but may indicate cover-19 infection:
- Aches and chills
- Nasal congestion
- Loss of taste and smell.
The major risk factors are contact with an infected person and overseas travel.
Self isolation and social distancing are important to reduce the spread of contact transmission. Australia is doing well in preventing the spread of Covid-19 and the health system is prepared well to deal with any patients.
For more information, news, advice and support about Covid-19:
- Coronavirus health information line 1800 020 080
- Download the Coronavirus Australia App
- Download the Covid Safe app
Massage Appointments During Covid-19
We are happy to be able to massage again and would love to see you in Nurtured Birth’s clinic space as soon as possible. Our healing hands are ready and waiting for you to arrive.
Please make a booking for a well deserved massage at Nurtured Birth:
- Phone Bookings and enquiries: 0401083778
- Online Bookings: www.nurturedbirth.com.au
Author: Sharon Clarke, Remedial Massage Therapist at Nurtured Birth